Sunday 31 August 2014

Medieval Fancy Dress Party

Medieval Fancy Dress Party

My daughter had her 21st birthday this week and to 
celebrate she had a Medieval themed fancy dress party.

Our family are huge Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings fans 
so this party was something we were all excited about.  

I scoured op shops, looking for all things medieval and had some great finds.


For my dress I used Simplicity 9891
I found a Mason and Logan Quilt cover at the op-shop, which I used for the main part of the dress.
The center panel and neck piece was a beautiful table runner, again from the op-shop.
My necklace was an op-shop find too.
Grand total for my outfit was $18


My son's cloak was made from 2 vintage bedspreads, found at the op-shop. 
The fur for the collar was purchased from Spotlight. 
I made the collar removable so the cloak could be easily washed.
The tunic was made from a sheet and the gold edging was taken off a table runner. 
I found these items at the op-shop and used Simplicity 1582 for the pattern.

My husband's vest was made using a quilt cover found at the op-shop. I used Butterick 4574
He wore the same white shirt that he wore for our wedding almost 20 years ago. 
Both belts were a great score from the op-shop, $1 each.
Total cost for both outfits was less than $30 


My son is wearing a vest I made using the Woolen Vest pattern from Little Kiwis Closet.
I extended the length and used fabric from my stash.
The pants are based off the Ben & Mia pattern from Lily Bird Studio.
I narrowed the leg and added the cuff. The fabric was left over from my dress.
I found his Italian made leather boots that are lined in wool at the op-shop.
These were a great find as they were brand new!
Total cost $4 (for the boots)


My youngest daughters dress was made using upholstery/furnishing fabric I found at Spotlight.
I used McCall's 5499 It was slightly too big for her as the sizing is 3-4 and she is in a 3.
The slightly stiffer fabric works well for this dress as it holds it's shape well.
Total cost $12

My next daughter is wearing a dress made from an op-shop quilt cover 
and some of my super special lace fabric. The trim is also from my stash.
I used this tutorial and combined it with Simplicity 2306
Total cost $6


I also made my son-in-law his outfit which I have not got any clear pictures of.



And finally I made this cape for my other daughter.
This turned out quite beautiful and was made from a quilt cover.
It's a pity I didn't get any good pictures of it though.

It was a fabulous night and I thoroughly enjoyed sewing with a mission.
I shall leave you with some of my favourite photos of the evening. 





 














6 comments:

  1. Sherry, you are amazing sewing up all these costumes mainly with Op Shop finds!!! Looks like a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry, I've featured your medieval costumes today. Your blog is also the featured blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam. I just love your blog and it is the first place I go to share my work :)

      Delete
  3. Das Kleid schaut wunderschön aus...und ich habe mich sehr an den Lieblingsfotos des mittelalterlichen Abends erfreut.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Klaudia;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply amazing! So much work, but boy do these outfits look great!

    ReplyDelete